I have a client that is wanting to used flamed granite inside and outside a spa that is currently in cosntruction.  Has anyone had experience with flamed granite in a pool or spa?  Did it last?  Was it slippery?  Were there challanges getting it to stay adheared underwater?  Cusrious minds need to know!

You need to be a member of Pool Genius Network to add comments!

Join Pool Genius Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Scott

We just used a flamed granite for coping on a large gunite hot tub. It's beautiful material.

It's not slippery when it's flamed. Polished like a counter top will be slippery.

.If you have to cut the material, use a wet saw. A demo saw or a grinder jumps around. It's very hard stone.

We treat it's setting much like bluestone whereas we make up a paste of Portland and water to a mayonnaise consistency and apply it to the stone and to the bond beam prior to laying down cement. It's a dense stone and it needs a good bond.

We have not set inside a pool or hot tub. We probably would use a waterproofing material such as Hydro-Ban from Laticrete prior to setting stone. They have very specific products for his application. Worth a look on their site or calling tech support.

• Thanks Kevin.  I appreciate the input.  

This reply was deleted.