My company was called to replace a liner for an older polymer panel pool in South Carolina. After replacing the liner the customer complained about their children getting a tingle when exiting the pool from the handrail (classic bonding problem right?). Well we drove a ground rod next to the equipment room, tied the subpanel box to the new ground, ran new bonding wire to each of the anchors for the handrail and ladder, ran a #8 green wire to the light lug, rewired some switches and outlets that had marginal grounds, bonded all equipment to the rod, and put a water ground in the plumbing on the returns. Confident that we covered all the bases for proper bonding we explained to the customer what we did and why.
Much to my surprise, the customer emailed and said that they still felt the tingle on the concrete deck/aluminum coping. Their youngest son would not get out of the pool at the step because his feet would get a mild shocking sensation and chose the ladder as an exit point, it didn't happen there.
Has anyone run across this problem and implemented a cost effective solution? Please share your experience.
I had this problem at an apartment complex. It only happened when the lights were on. They had 4 lights in the pool. I got in the pool and could feel the shocking sensation on my lips. They were running lights 24/7. We disconnected each light one at a time until we found the one that was giving the problem. Replaced that light and problem disappeared. We are not sure what the problem was, we just know that it followed the light and the problem went with it into the trash.
Caribbean Pool Service
NEC requires anything metallic within 5' of the pool must be bonded.
That includes the aluminum coping. Because it's in sections, each "section" must be bonded. This holds true for metal fence posts within the 5'.
You may have to install the equipotential bond grid around the pool perimeter. Yes, requires tearing up the deck.
Before you get too involved, I would suggest to have a company certified in testing for proper bonding to check this pool.
Disconnecting fixtures one at a time until the "tingling" stops may prove harmful to you or your employees.
I'm not so sure the ground rod is an acceptable solution for this application (pools). I seem to remember having this conversation with my electrician some years ago. I would reach out to a local inspector.
Another source is www.mikeholt.com
He is an electrical guru that knows the codes backwards and forwards. He does teach seminars to pool industry pros regarding bonding. There is online help at his site as well.