Translate to:

My company was called to replace a liner for an older polymer panel pool in South Carolina.  After replacing the liner the customer complained about their children getting a tingle when exiting the pool from the handrail (classic bonding problem right?).  Well we drove a ground rod next to the equipment room, tied the subpanel box to the new ground, ran new bonding wire to each of the anchors for the handrail and ladder, ran a #8 green wire to the light lug, rewired some switches and outlets that had marginal grounds, bonded all equipment to the rod, and put a water ground in the plumbing on the returns.  Confident that we covered all the bases for proper bonding we explained to the customer what we did and why.

Much to my surprise, the customer emailed and said that they still felt the tingle on the concrete deck/aluminum coping.  Their youngest son would not get out of the pool at the step because his feet would get a mild shocking sensation and chose the ladder as an exit point, it didn't happen there.

Has anyone run across this problem and implemented a cost effective solution?  Please share your experience.

Regards,

Brian McGarry

Views: 136

Replies to This Discussion

Following

I had this problem at an apartment complex. It only happened when the lights were on. They had 4 lights in the pool. I got in the pool and could feel the shocking sensation on my lips. They were running lights 24/7. We disconnected each light one at a time until we found the one that was giving the problem. Replaced that light and problem disappeared. We are not sure what the problem was, we just know that it followed the light and the problem went with it into the trash.

Randy Lapish

Caribbean Pool Service

Brian

NEC requires anything metallic within 5' of the pool must be bonded.

That includes the aluminum coping. Because it's in sections, each "section" must be bonded. This holds true for metal fence posts within the 5'.

You may have to install the equipotential bond grid around the pool perimeter. Yes, requires tearing up the deck.

Before you get too involved, I would suggest to have a company certified in testing for proper bonding to check this pool.

Disconnecting fixtures one at a time until the "tingling" stops may prove harmful to you or your employees.

I'm not so sure the ground rod is an acceptable solution for this application (pools). I seem to remember having this conversation with my electrician some years ago. I would reach out to a local inspector.

Another source is www.mikeholt.com

He is an electrical guru that knows the codes backwards and forwards. He does teach seminars to pool industry pros regarding bonding. There is online help at his site as well.

Thank you Kevin, Randy, & Jeremy

RSS

Sign in

Password
 or Sign Up
By signing in, you agree to the amended Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Forgotten your password?

Events

Latest Activity

Kevin Misley replied to Kevin Misley's discussion Electronic Robotic Cordless Cleaners
"Ryan That link is household vacuum cleaners not pool cleaners. Anyway, I got a little more…"
Tuesday
Ryan Williams replied to Jody Perez's discussion Performing a controlled pool water drain
"Hey Jody, why don't you save yourself the trouble of having to do all that and just hire a…"
Tuesday
Ryan Williams replied to Kevin Misley's discussion Electronic Robotic Cordless Cleaners
"Yep, cordless cleaners are the best. Here's an expert review on it."
Tuesday
Kevin Misley commented on Kim Skinner's blog post How to Obtain a Quality Pool Plaster Finish
"Thanks for the post Kim-good article."
Tuesday
Kevin Misley posted a discussion

Electronic Robotic Cordless Cleaners

Looking for an opinion on the best cordless cleaner.Has to be cordless as the pool is equipped with…See More
Tuesday
Ryan Williams is now a member of Pool Genius Network
Monday
Chris Lightenberg shared their video on Facebook
May 18
PGN Admin shared Kim Skinner's blog post on Facebook
May 17

© 2018   Created by PGN Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video