Jandy or Pentair

I was wanted to get thoughts on Jandy equipment versus Pentair. We have been with Pentair for 4 years, but we are entertaining the idea of switching to Jandy. Does anyone have experience using both? We use mostly EasyTouch automation with VS Pumps. Thanks for your input.

You need to be a member of Pool Genius Network to add comments!

Join Pool Genius Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I personally love the Jandy contol user interface. It seems so much more logical to me. I have had great luck long with term reliability using the Jandy sysrems. I agree with Rocco though that Jandy has some catching up to do. Their chips are maxed out, and they are actually removing some functions on some of the systems to create space. ( Recently I tried to install a light dimming relay on a PDA system, only to learn that dimming relays are not supported on the PDA ).

For the High end client, the offerings from Pentair are much better, and I agree that this is a huge area for growth in the coming years. We have been doing more and more systems with the Intellitouch for the added flexibility with the Intelliflo pumps.

Rex,
    I agree that the flow difference through a 2" nipple or a 2 1/2" nipple at the pump is negligable. I just would like to see Pentair send the pumps out with quick connect fittings (2 1/2" inside x 3" outside) so that we don't have to jump through hoops to connect a 3" or 4" suction line to the pump itself. When the owners manual for the Intelliflo calls out 4" suction plumbing (which it does), it seems kind of silly to have to bush down to 2" to make the connection at the pump.

Brad Carney said:
    David,

Thanks for the info. How reliable is the Jandy automation?

Brad
  • In the residential market where I am in North Central and North Florida, Jandy has little foothold. Pentair is most everywher e. What little Jandy parts I've had to replace/repair are incredibly expensive compared to competitors. Jandy product is not in line with competitors for pricing nor quality. I promote the Pentair EasyTouch controls and VF pumps. Replace the EasyTouch with the Intelitouch and the system has a lot more flexibility, more water feature controls, actuactors, and heating options. I love it. Unless youre going to get a board repaired vs replaced, then for what a replacement costs you could rip off the Jandy and put up a EasyTouch or SunTouch with a little bit of $ left over. I've also added a VFP and VSP to the Aqualink via the Intelicomm and have had good success with that combo.

-Jeremy
    Florida Leisure Pool & Spa
  • We've installed both the Aqua-Link and Intelli-Touch systems. The Jandy Aqua-Link has been around awhile and with all of its revisions and improvements, its operating system is running close to full capacity. The Intelli-Touch, being a fairly new product, has yet to tap into its vast potential. One major bonus to clients and service companies is the remote access. Check temps, set programs and operate equipment from anywhere you can get an internet connection. I think these are going to be huge in the upcoming years.
    Six in one hand, half a dozen in the other. Technologically, Jandy has a little catching up to do.
  • Luke,
    For years Pentair has had the market cornered on the commercial sand filters. You should check out the new Jandy 30 inch side mount sand filter.
    It has two diffusers, plumbed internally with sweep 90's, a large dual drain that you can choose to drain water, or both sand and water. It also uses the 2 in 1 neverlube backwash valve that David speaks so highly of.

Luke Norris said:
    I feel with Jandy you pay more for what you get. As a service professional, I'd sale the pentair over the jandy any day. I can get the client a lot better unit for their money than I can with jandy. They'd have to spend more and I would lose the bid or the customer. But if you are a builder than I am sure things are different.

I always look at it like this. When you goto a commercial property and you see their pump and filter. What do you see? A challenger and a TR100 or 140. Enough said.
  • David,

Thanks for the info. How reliable is the Jandy automation?

Brad

David Penton said:
    We have used the VF series pumps for years now, and I personally LOVE the savings we are able to achieve for our clients. We also use the Jandy control systems, because I think they are more intuitive, and easier for homeowners to understand. Since Pentair has discontinued the MiniMax heaters (Thankfully) we have switched over to their MasterTemp / MaxiTherm heaters as well. (We used to install Raypak heaters).

On our new construction jobs we typically install a VF pump, a Quad DE100 with a Jandy 2 in 1 backwash valve (BY FAR THE BEST BACKWASH VALVE AVAILABLE TODAY!!! 2 1/2" ports!!) a MasterTemp or MaxiTherm heater (depending on clearances) and either a Jandy OneTouch, or a Pentair Intellitouch. We have started using the Intellitouch more lately, because there are definite limits to what you can do with the Jandy system and the IntelliFlo pumps. The pump integration with the new Jandy updates is pretty good, but sometimes we need a little more flexibility, and in those situations we opt for the Intellitouch.

I do like the fact that the Jandy Pumps have 2 1/2" ports on them, and wish Pentair would get the Whisperflo bodies redesigned... A pump that is capable of 160gpm should have larger plumbing connections than 2"!! We have started using the CMP 3" slip x 2" threaded unions for our pump connections, which helps, but it should be a factory option, not something that we have to build ourselves. That being said... I still love the Intelliflo pumps, and will stick with them.
  • We have used the VF series pumps for years now, and I personally LOVE the savings we are able to achieve for our clients. We also use the Jandy control systems, because I think they are more intuitive, and easier for homeowners to understand. Since Pentair has discontinued the MiniMax heaters (Thankfully) we have switched over to their MasterTemp / MaxiTherm heaters as well. (We used to install Raypak heaters).

On our new construction jobs we typically install a VF pump, a Quad DE100 with a Jandy 2 in 1 backwash valve (BY FAR THE BEST BACKWASH VALVE AVAILABLE TODAY!!! 2 1/2" ports!!) a MasterTemp or MaxiTherm heater (depending on clearances) and either a Jandy OneTouch, or a Pentair Intellitouch. We have started using the Intellitouch more lately, because there are definite limits to what you can do with the Jandy system and the IntelliFlo pumps. The pump integration with the new Jandy updates is pretty good, but sometimes we need a little more flexibility, and in those situations we opt for the Intellitouch.

I do like the fact that the Jandy Pumps have 2 1/2" ports on them, and wish Pentair would get the Whisperflo bodies redesigned... A pump that is capable of 160gpm should have larger plumbing connections than 2"!! We have started using the CMP 3" slip x 2" threaded unions for our pump connections, which helps, but it should be a factory option, not something that we have to build ourselves. That being said... I still love the Intelliflo pumps, and will stick with them.
This reply was deleted.