75,000 gal Commercial Pool Start up

Greetings Pool Geniuses!

My company recently remodeled a 75,000 commercial pool that has had very poor maintenance for years.  We specifically state that we do not perform start up on commercial pool projects as we concentrate on the construction aspects of our projects.

Our problem is that we are now in a holding pattern because this pool is located in an are where there are no pool service providers to do the start up.  In our effort to be a good contractor (and finish the project) we have had the source water tested and now need input on chemicals and quantities recommended for start up and some tips for ongoing maintenance. 

Thanks in advance!

Chris.watermarkpros@gmail.com

Water analysis:

75,000 Pool

Test

Abbrev

Range

Condition

Result

Free Available Chlorine

FAC

1 - 4 ppm

OK

Total Available Chlorine

TAC

0.2 difference

OK

Calcium Hardness

CH

200 - 400

Low

Cyanuric Acid

CYA

30 - 99 ppm

Low

Total Alkalinity

TA

80 - 120 ppm

High

pH

pH

7.2 - 7.8

OK

Copper

Copper

Should be 0 ppm

OK

Iron

Iron

Should be 0 ppm

OK

Total Dissolved Solids

TDS

Less than 2500

OK

Phosphates

Pho

Below 100 ppb

High

You need to be a member of Pool Genius Network to add comments!

Join Pool Genius Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Chris I might add also Kim Skinner has a fantastic Bi-Carb method for start ups on fresh plastered pools.

I'm just assuming this pool has a plaster finish.

• Chris

Pre-dissolve the calcium flake in a clean bucket (5 gallon) prior to adding to the pool.

It's not a good idea to broadcast the calcium directly into the pool as it will settle to the bottom.

You will notice the mixing bucket will generate some heat from the calcium, which is normal, during this process,

It's generally good practice to pre-dissolve chemicals prior to adding to a pool or spa.

Just be sure your mixing bucket is clean and free of any other chemical prior to use. Some serious chemical reactions could take place if 2 different chemicals are mixed.

You won't get a true reading of your chemical levels until the filtration system is started and has run through at least 1 turnover period-maybe 6-8 hours after start up.

I would be conservative on the calcium addition initially, and then re-test after a run cycle to obtain a true level.

Still, add in small doses until you reach proper levels.

This holds true for all other chemicals.

• I suggest you add some calcium chloride as the pool fills with water.  Just make sure that the pH of the water is not higher than 7.8.  

This reply was deleted.