Replies

• I totaly agree that in an average depth (no more than 5") pool main drains are just trouble waiting for an opportunity, but I think something that should go along with " no main drain" as a rule is an Auto-fill. Where we are we have mostly rental properties, and renters are extremly neglegent. To avoid the system " sucking air" and all the ills that follow install an auto-fill with a simple guage to record how much is added. In the case of a leak or some other problem you will have an acurate record of water loss.An auto-fill is simple and inexpensive during construction and a very nice convenience in any case.
    • When you mention gauge for the auto fill... do you have a specific one you use. Is this somehwhat like a mini- water meter?
      • Ray Cronise gave me a web address, Mcmaster.com where you can find a product called a Brass Cold Water Totalizer that will pass up to 20 GPM for about $85.00
  • What's a main drain? We haven't installed any the past 5 years except where the state has required us to build one. I am fighting the state now to prove to me why they are needed. Check out stopsuctionentrapment.com for great info on this.
    • I'd love to agree, but, drains are a necessity for pools with the majority of automated cleaning systems, water features, rim spill pools, etc. We've been installing split drains with properly sized plumbing and covers for years with no incidents. Recently we decided to move to drains that meet the "Unblockable" standard to add to the margin of safety in the pools we build.

In addition to the covers and the installation of such is owner knowledge and buy-in. During owner training I spend about 15 minutes discussing entrapment, how to prevent it, the safety features of our pools and what to do in case of emergency.
  • Casey, the new drain legislation has increased the study and science around drains. The Pool Genius faculty are planning a presentation on the topic very soon. (Maybe Oct 22nd) One of the faculty, Ray Cronise, has been the leader in hydraulic research and drain testing and has a GREAT presentation on the issue. The session will be broadcast by webinar and you will be invited. (A beny of being in the network) : )
This reply was deleted.